joberg2c rules ok
There are rules and then there are rules – we have UCI rules for those racing and we have joberg2c rules for those just riding. Both are designed to give you a few boundaries so you keep all your mates. It might have been Marx who once said, “ultimate freedom is always more appreciated with regulation”…. or it could have been Wappo.
joberg2c is an official CSA/UCI race where their rules apply along with certain joberg2c specific rules. For those who are serious racers, these rules also provide the parameters in which riders must race to avoid penalties and punch ups. For the non-racing types, they will give you an indication of what is like to race without having to. Mountain bike events are conducted in the spirit of self-contained, self-reliant back-country cycling. Riders participate in the joberg2c with an understanding and acceptance of this ethos. Official racing categories will be announced on our website and based on numbers in the category.
Just a few pointers before you read all the rules
- GPS event – joberg2c is a GPS event which means it is compulsory to have a GPS unit capable of following tracks
- Gravel / Cyclo-Cross bikes will not be allowed, under UCI regulations, to participate
- E-bikes are permitted under strict rules – please read the Rules to find out more
- All riders must stick together at all times as partners. Over the years, many stronger partners will leave their weaker partners along the way. This is not the spirit of riding stage races and we will not let those riders back into the event if this is the case… Riders stuck in the middle of South Africa without the right repair equipment may have a very long day
- Carrying your full list of supplies (see 7. Obligatory Equipment on the full list of rules).
From 1 Jan 2016 riders caught for doping and convicted will face a lifetime ban from joberg2c with no exceptions – riders who were banned before this date will be able to ride as we cannot undo the hazy past but we can try be part of a clean future. He or she will no longer able to race the event. He or she will not be allowed to podium or ride up front among the racers. This rule will enable those with a history to ride for the love of riding only and it will ensure the event avoids any negative publicity. For the non-racing types, they will give you an indication of what it is like to ride without having to compete.
Unwritten rules of single track
The joberg2c has some awesome sections of single track along the way. The ride of way principal applies to single track and any challenging sections.
Ride of way – this is a very simple concept that should apply to all fair mountain bikers all over the planet: if you are walking on a section because it is too technical or you are too tired you must give way to those riding. If you are behind someone pushing simply ask for the ride of way.
Give way – if there is a faster rider behind you try to find a safe place to let him or her pass you. If you are a man and she is a woman try not to put your pump in her spokes because she is quicker than you. If you are behind a slower rider try to ask them nicely to let you pass but don’t make them panic and fall. We are all here for a good time. Keep it nice and chilled and nobody will get hurt. Not even egos.
Rider disclaimer and rules agreed to at the point of entry
Rules and Disclaimer